Thursday, January 05, 2012
30 Things to Stop Doing to Yourself
A new year can mean a fresh start, a revived perspective, and a new beginning. As we reflect back on 2011, we think of all the things we accomplished, all the memories that were made, and also, our fall backs, what we would have liked to have done, mistakes that were made. We all had moments over the past year that filled us with pure joy, and others that might have not been so favourable.
So when I saw this, I thought it was the perfect thing to share at such a perfect time in all of our lives. Here's to a year full of good health, lots of laughter, heaps of love, and making every moment count!
1. Stop spending time with the wrong people - I cannot begin to tell you how good it feels to stop letting people hoard the real estate in your mind. "And remember, it’s not the people that stand by your side when you’re at your best, but the ones who stand beside you when you’re at your worst that are your true friends."
2. Stop running from your problems - It's important to know that what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. And although that's a pretty cliché phrase, it's cliché for a reason.
3. Stop lying to yourself - Because lying to yourself is more deeply ingrained than lying to others.
4. Stop putting your own needs on the back burner - It's easy to put everyone else's needs before your own and hard to remember that you are important too!
5. Stop trying to be someone you're not - Because who you are is fabulous.
6. Stop trying to hold onto the past - "You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analyzing a situation, trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've or would've happened...or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the fuck on." So necessary.
7. Stop being scared to make a mistake - "If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
8. Stop berating yourself for old mistakes - When something bad happens, you have three choices: You can let it define you, let it destory you, or let it strengthen you. You are not your mistakes, it is not your fault, things happen and they happen for a reason.
9. Stop trying to buy happiness - Happiness doesn't come from getting something we don't have, it comes from recognizing and appreciating what we have already.
10. Stop exclusively looking to others for happiness - When writing the story of your life, don't let somebody else hold the pen. If you aren't happy, only you have the ability to change that.
11. Stop being idle - Your life is passing you by! So go! Live it! Everything starts with the first step. I'm not saying it's going to be easy, I'm saying it's going to be worth it.
12. Stop thinking you're not ready - Challenge yourself.
13. Stop getting involved in relationships for the wrong reasons - "Fall in love when you're ready, not when you're lonely." Figure out who you are and what you want first. Don't ever feel like you "need" somebody.
14. Stop rejecting new relationships just because old ones didn't work - We all have baggage, learn from it and don't push amazing people away because of it.
15. Stop trying to compete against everyone else - There will always be someone who smarter, prettier, a better writer, athlete, musician, the list could go on forever... but there is only one you; you are unique, you are special, so just be you, and do it on your own terms.
16. Stop being jealous of others - See number 10 and 15.
17. Stop complaining and feeling sorry for yourself - You are responsible for your own feelings. Focus on the positive. An optimistic sees the opportunity in every challenge, a pessimist only sees the challenge in every opportunity.
18. Stop holding grudges - Don't let anyone have that kind of control over your mind - free your mind of all that anger; let go and liberate yourself.
19. Stop letting others bring you down to their level - "Refuse to lower your standards to accommodate those who refuse to raise theirs."
20. Stop wasting time explaining yourself to others - True friends don't need it, and anyone else doesn't matter.
21. Stop doing the same things over and over without taking a break - Walk away, clear your mind, and come back with a new, fresh perspective.
22. Stop overlooking the beauty of small moments - The little things really are the most important.
23. Stop trying to make things perfect - Because they will never be.
24. Stop following the path of least resistance - Nothing worth having ever comes easy. What's the point in living if you don't try to do something remarkable?
25. Stop acting like everything is fine if it isn't - Fall apart for a little bit, cry if you have to. Really, it's okay.
26. Stop blaming others for your troubles - Take responsibility for your own actions and decisions, don't give other people that privilege.
27. Stop trying to be everything to everyone - Doing so will lead to exhaustion. Follow your heart and live life your own way, you'll be criticised for it anyway.
28. Stop worrying so much - Why? Because it won't get you anywhere. If you think something bad is going to happen to you, it will. Send out positivity in your life, and you will receive it.
29. Stop focusing on what you don't want to happen - You have to let go of your plans and your worries in order to live the life that's waiting for you.
30. Stop being ungrateful - Stop thinking about what you don't have, or what others have that you don't. Instead, recognize what you have already. The more you strive and search for happiness, the more you overlook that possibility that it's already there. Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day.
Photo via Pinterest
(P.S. Thanks, Sarah :)