Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Working Out + The Effects


If this doesn’t motivate you to hop on a treadmill and start working out, I don’t know what will.

What you’re seeing here is an MRI of leg muscles of a 40 year old triathlete compared to a 70 year old triathlete and a 74 year old sedentary man. Pretty shocking, wouldn’t you say?

Old age, to me, is a scary thing. Not because I’m worried about a couple of crow’s feet, and more defined laugh lines, but I’m afraid of the possibility of a deteriorating standard of living. I look around and so often see older people with a lack of mobility, less energy, aches and pains, and not to mention, a long list of health issues. I’m afraid of forgetting what it feels like to feel good, healthy, and full of life. And if I’m being blunt about it, I don’t want to suffer.

I’m not going to name names or anything, but there are people in my life who I look at, and I think “Only if you took care of yourself, would you know how amazing it feels to be healthy and fit.” It’s as if they’re completely unaware of their suffering because they’ve adjusted and made room for their type of pain. As a bystander, it’s hard to watch someone you care about live like that. It kind of makes you want to shake them out of it. But I guess the same goes for healthy living as it does for a smoker, only the person doing it has to want to change.

My only hope is that they will shake themselves out of it before it’s too late. I can’t help but be reminded of a quote I once read that went something like this: "Those who think they have no time for fitness will sooner or later have to find time for illness.”

The MRI scans show us that it’s possible to make the most out of old age. We don’t have to worry about deteriorating muscles, bone loss, and other harsh effects if we just work for it. I’ve always been completely fascinated by the fact that if you don’t like your body – you can mold it into whatever you want it to be. You and only you. With hard work and determination, you can lose the fat that stares back at you in the mirror. You can sculpt your arm muscles so when you wave your hand, your arm doesn’t wave with you. You can lift and tighten your bum, you can define your abs. Whatever you want, you can do. And it doesn’t take a magic pill, or some fad diet. It takes time, sweat, and maybe even some tears.

And I confess: I’ve been finding it extremely difficult to get motivated lately. You know how they say you gain “happy weight” when you start living with your significant other? Yeah, it’s not making me very happy. Which is part of the reason I’m putting this out there; to hold myself accountable. I have to practice what I preach, right?
Believe it or not, I woke up at 5:30 (in the morning!!!) today and went to the gym. Yes. Me. I did that. (I didn’t even hit snooze.) Excuse me while I dance around as pride and excitement flows through my veins like unicorn blood.

So c’mon, join me! Let’s all motivate each other and start living healthier lives today!

What are your fitness goals? Do you have any vices? (I admit, I’m a true Canadian with a love that runs deep for poutine)

P.S. An awesome app that helps you track your calories easily. (Warning: If you add in poutine, it might blow up:)

(Via Swissmiss)

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis