Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Goals Before 2014: Presence (Week 4)


First off, a confession: I didn't stick to my plan of developing a rock-solid morning routine 100%. Carving out a morning routine that works for me is still going to take some time to figure out exactly what that looks like.

In my mind, I had mapped out what I thought it would look like - spending extra time being super-productive or squeezing in a quick workout. What this really meant for me was opening my eyes a bit earlier (anywhere from 15 to 40 minutes), and taking the time to be still before gearing up for the day.

Instead of forcing myself to be strict with a morning schedule, if I fell behind, I didn't guilt-trip myself for it, I simply made time in the evening before bed to wind down into meditation, read a book, or dive into some inner-exploration. Taking these extra moments for myself brought clarity not only in that moment, but that feeling stretched throughout the day. Moments where I'd usually get frustrated (rush-hour traffic), I set the intention for peace and simply went with the day, however it unfolded.

More than anything else, the act of simply being gentle with myself and giving myself space to breeeeathe has been the biggest shift.

That said, it's all still a work in progress but I'm looking forward to honing in on a routine that works for me, not one that I've read about, been told about, or that's worked for somebody else. Let's call it customization. I'm fancy like that.

WEEK 4: PRESENCE {October 28 - November 4}
This week it's all about presence. I've got a big week ahead full of personal projects, work deadlines, a course I've enrolled in, as well as a weekend away with friends. My aim here is to be in the moment. To focus on what's right in front of me, rather than letting my mind run off, thinking/ planning/ worrying about something else.

Instead of letting my mind run off, when I'm away having fun with a friends, I'm not going to think about the to-do list I have at home, I'm just going to be there. When I'm hammering out the details of a project, I'm not going to guilt myself because I haven't completed a course assignment, I'm going to immerse myself fully in my project. Laser-focus. Crystal-clear attention. Full-speed ahead!

My hope here is that presence works its way into all aspects of my life. Not just the "getting shit done" parts, but also the snippets in the day where I create space for myself, and invite in pockets of pure joy. To clear my mind of inner-chatter when I'm on the yoga mat. To write simply for the joy of writing. To stop and jump on my mini-trampoline just for fun. To take my meditation practice further, and go deeper.

I have a feeling it's going to be a pretty freaking awesome week ahead.

YOUR TURN: What goals are you setting for yourself this week? Declare it + share it in the comments! xx

Image via

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis