Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Healing My Relationship with Food

Each morning, I rise out of bed and lovingly chug down a glass of warm water before grabbing some fruits and veggies to whip up a smoothie or juice, depending on how I feel. I might reach for some vitamins or a shot of aloe vera juice as I do some food prep for the day. I act on intuition.

What does my body need right now?

Life looks a lot different than what it used to, when my cooking pots collected dust, my freezer was chock-full of microwavable dinners, and any remnants of healthy food I purchased with good intentions would soon expire. I hustled at the gym 4-6 times a week with the distorted vision that it justified my poor diet, filling my body up with toxicity, and junk food binges.

Today, I'm choosing to heal my relationship with food. I'm calling bullshit on my past-conditioning and taking a real, hard look at the choices I make so that I can live vibrantly. Full of energy, crystal-clear, and aligned with the life I want to live.

Something happens when you decide to take a stand in the creation of your life rather than idling sitting to the side. Shifts happen. You wake up. It's... confronting.

I keep refining and adjusting as I go, seeing what works, what doesn't. I'm devouring information like it's going out of style. Wellness shouldn't be about restriction, deprivation, striving, pushing, or most of all, proving anything. It isn't putting yourself in a box, it's breaking free from it. It's about the uniqueness of you, listening to your intuition, and connecting to your body. 

Does this resonate with you? Are you itching for a little lifestyle overhaul but ultimately feel lost? Have you felt trapped in your current habits and are ready to make a change (but maybe don't know where to start)? I'm right here beside you. 

Today I'd love to share with you 4 things that have helped me along the way, in hopes it might help you too.



TAKE SMALL STEPS

There's a plethora of information out there that will overwhelm you, if you let it. While you may be tempted to jump on the raw food/ no meat/ no dairy/ no gluten/ no yeast/ no caffeine/ no sugar/ need I go on? train, let's put the brakes on for a second, sista! That's a fast track to failure city, and I hear all they're dishing out is guilt and shame.

Small steps are the foundation of quantum leaps. You want a solid foundation, not a rocky one! Give yourself 1-2 tasks to focus on for 30-45 days before juggling anything else. While "slow and steady wins the race" may seem like cliché catchphrase, it rings true.

NOURISHMENT > DEPRIVATION

Mindset is everything.

There is a big difference between, "Oh, I can't eat that." and "I choose to eat __________."

When you choose nourishment, feelings of deprivation don't arise. When I decided that I was going to fill my body with foods it would thrive off of, I didn't remove anything from my diet, I invited more in. Juices and smoothies made their way into my morning routine, which meant bagels with cream cheese and lattes were out. It became less about depriving myself of, say, sugar cravings and more about fuelling myself with an abundance of what would nourish me. This isn't about a diet or some quick scheme to lose weight and look better, it's a lifestyle. 

It meant asking, "What would the most vibrant version of myself choose right now?"

PREPARATION IS KEY

Night and day, my friends. Night and day! Prep, prep, prep.

It's when I fall short in this area that I suddenly get over-hungry and then cravings set in. Salty, sweet, greasy, junk, give it to me! Now, I plan out my meals for the week (Meal planning! It's like a revelation, you guys!), load up on fruits, easy to whip-up snacks, and it's a breeze.

Some items to have on hand are fruits (bananas, oranges, kiwis, and grapes are my favourite right now), dried fruit, dates, and mixed nuts. Of course I still indulge from time to time but I've switched to gluten-free cookies and dark chocolate for a healthier treat.

COMPASSION WILL SET YOU FREE

Did you know that food will have a different effect on your body if you're filled with guilt and negativity? Infuse your food with love and most of all, go easy on yourself.

We all have days where we might miss the mark but the key is not to dwell in your past and move forward. Each day is a new opportunity to lean in a little deeper, learn more, grow, and connect to yourself. There is no such thing as perfection, there is only you, in this moment, seeking more out of life.

I highly recommend learning what works for you and educating yourself to decide what's right for you. Documentaries like Food Matters, Hungry for Change, and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead were incredible resources for jumpstarting a healthier lifestyle for both my husband and I.

I'd love to hear your comments on this topic! It's one that I'm becoming incredibly passionate about so please share your own experiences/ what's worked for you/ any tips you might have! And if you have any questions, them 'em roll! Nothing's off limits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis