Friday, July 20, 2012

A Day In Gdansk




Planning our trip to Poland began over a year before we actually boarded the plane to get there. So, as you can imagine, there was a whole lot of anticipation. And build-up. And maybe even some expectations even though I told myself not to.

And the truth is, I really didn't know what to expect. And it certainly wasn't what happened.

Since this was my first time in Europe, I was expecting to be blown away by the history, the architecture, and the overall feel that you get when you're there. And oh boy, was I ever. And on the other hand...I also expected myself to be incredibly nervous - like, stuttering my words, sweaty palms kind of nervous - because I'd be meeting Sebastian's family (other than his parents and brother) for the first time ever. I mean, there was a whole lot of pressure there, not to mention a language barrier to jump over.

And let me tell you - I met some of the most warm, welcoming, and incredible people I have ever had the chance to get to know. People who I can now call family. I look back at my time in Poland and yes, the architecture was thousands of years old, things that changed the world as we know it happened there, and that feeling in the air? It's something I couldn't even begin to describe.

But what I will think about the most - is the people. Is my family. We cheered together, we danced together, we ate epic meals together, and oh yes, we drank together.

And you want to know what else we did? We went on a pirate ship together. Trust me when I say that you don't even know how excited I was. I literally turned into a pirate.

See for yourself, if you'd like...

***

Excitement level = off the charts


Family (Plus an Irish Man, haha)


...And you thought I was kidding.


Sebastian, Ewelina (Pronounced Evelina), Matt aka Bro-In-Law


The three friends we traveled with; Greg, Matt, Valeriy... and Seb!
True story: For a couple nights I had to share a bed with all three guys on the right, so ummm, yea, that was interesting.


Where the first bullets were fired during World World II


True story: I don't even like beer.




... After cruising around on our pirate ship, we finally made it back to land. And had the most perfect view of downtown Gdansk.

This adventure was the same day as the Spain vs Ireland game - also known as the day of absolute insanity. In the best way possible. You can read more about that here, if you haven't already.

Have an awesome weekend!

(P.S. While some of these photos were taken by yours truly, most of them were taken by our friend, Valeriy Tyshchuk:)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, no! Why aren't your images showing up (including your blog header)? Did something happen to your Photobucket (or whatever server you use) account?

    ReplyDelete

AddThis